English: Planing / Deutsch: Planung / Español: Planificación / Português: Planejamento / Français: Planification / Italiano: Pianificazione /
This is possible because of the principle of hydrodynamic lift, where the shape of the vehicle's hull or underside creates a region of low pressure under the vehicle, which creates an upward force that lifts the vehicle up and allows it to plane over the surface.
Planing is typically used in seaplanes, hovercraft, and some boats and watercraft. It is an important consideration in the design of such vehicles, as the shape and size of the hull or underside can greatly affect the ability of the vehicle to plane efficiently and safely.
- Planing maneuvers during reentry of spacecraft through Earth's atmosphere
- Designing spacecraft heat shields to facilitate controlled planing during reentry
- Studying the aerodynamics of spacecraft to optimize planing characteristics
- Simulating planing behavior in spacecraft during atmospheric entry in mission planning
Similar Concepts and Synonyms
- Aerodynamic Lift during Reentry
- Atmospheric Skimming
- Dynamic Air Cushioning
- Hydrodynamic Glide
- Surface Interaction Maneuver
- NASA - Atmospheric Reentry
- European Space Agency - Atmospheric Reentry
- SpaceX - Starship Reentry
- Boeing - CST-100 Starliner Reentry
- Roscosmos - Soyuz Reentry
These links provide information about atmospheric reentry and spacecraft planing maneuvers from various space agencies and companies around the world.